Fully Integrated Water Storage Solution
The installation of a tank that is filled automatically when mains water is available to a pre-determined minimal level, with the remaining space available to store rainwater. This water is filtered / sterilised and utilised for full domestic water supply.
Fully integrated systems combination of both Rainwater Harvesting and Municipal Back Up. It provides you the benefit of reducing your reliance on regulated water (municipal back up), as well as saving water (rainwater harvesting), and still gives you access to an adequate water supply with there is none..
Fully Integrated Component Structure
For a basic system you will require the following:
Standard tank fittings (intlet/overflow and outlet) included in price.
- Base / plinth
- Mesh/Tank Screen – beneath tank lid
- Rainhead i.e. Leaf Eater
- First Flush Diverter
- Pipes – 3 x 110 mm SV pipes
For more details see Rainwater Harvesting "Components" section.
- Pipes for Municipal Back Up.
For more details see Municipal Back up "Components" section.
- Elbows Gate valves
- Sizes according to pipes
- To isolate components/manage system.
- Non-return valves
- Float Valve
To control the fill height of the tank
- Filter /Sterilisation
To improve the quality of water used from the tank.
How To Maintain Your Fully Integrated System
- Rooftops - Rooftops should be cleaned regularly to avoid contamination of the runoff. During dry weather, dust, leaves, animal excrement and dead insects accumulate on the roof. Make sure that the roof is cleaned before the rainy season starts, followed by a monthly check to keep it clean.
- Gutters - Ensure that the gutters are free from leaves - consider installing gutter mesh.
- Pre-Filtration - Regularly check the pre-filtration device/s to ensure that it is free from leaves and that rainwater can pass through.
- Tank Screen - If there is a tank screen in the lid of the tank, clean it if full of debris.
- First Flush Diverter- If a first flush diverter is installed, check and clean it out on a monthly basis. Ensure the diverter is dripping out sufficiently to reset the system.
- Keeping your tank Clean - Inspect the inside of the tank every 3 months to make sure that leaf litter has not built up in the bottom of the tank. A properly designed system should not allow leaves and other material to get into the tank.
- Water Quality - Please remember that water collected from a roof will not be clean and seeing that the water will be a mixture of both rainwater and municipal water, consult an installer with experience in installing water filtration systems.
- Keeping your water Fresh - Draw up a roster for your tank and rotate/circulate the water at a set interval by using the water for a few days to get the water level down inside your tank, whereafter you can fill it up with fresh municipal water. You could use the water to wash your car, fill up the pool, water the garden etc
- Filters - If any filters are installed before or after the pressure pump and/ or water tank then please ensure they are cleaned and/or replaced as per the installer and manufacturer recommendations.
- UV Light - If a UV light is installed replace the globe as per the manufacturer recommendations.
Fully Integrated Water Storage Installation
Choose a tank
Size tank required for Fully Intergrated = Rainwater Harvesting calculation + Municipal Back Up calculation.
How to calculate what size tank would be sufficient for Rainwater Harvesting:
1. Calculation for Rainwater Harvesting
|Roof p/m²||Tank Size|
|50 – 100||750 L – 2200 L|
|200 – 400||2500 L – 10 000 L|
2. Calculation for Municipal Back Up
Size of tank = litres p/day X total days back up required i.e. 4 people (600L) X 3 days = 1800L
Will depend n the space available plus access to suitable guttering/downpipes and main incoming water supply line.
Base / foundation
Tanks must be installed on a sound, level and smooth surface. Level paving will suffice, or a properly designed tank stand, alternatively a concrete plinth needs to be built. Ideally the plinth should be covered by a concrete topping at least 85mm thick.
For installation of your fully integrated water storage system, contact a preferred installer in your area. Installers are listed here.